Tot's Knitted Vest
Learn to exchange this knit pattern to crochet
FROM WOMAN'S DAY ON AOL
See Abbreviations and Terms, below.
* SIZES: Child's 3-4 [5-6]. Finished chest measurement: 24" [26"]
Length from back neck 13 [14"].
* YOU'LL NEED: Yarn: 87-yd skein worsted-weight acrylic), 2 skeins each Evergreen and royal blue (B) (available in crafts and yarn shops or by mail from King Arthur Yarn Shop, 7618 18th Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11214, or phone 718-232-9001); knitting needles: size 9 (5.50 =) or size that gives you correct gauge; 1 ¼ - buttons: large tapestry needle.
* GAUGE: In garter at, 8 sts - 2"; 14 rows (7 ridges) = 2".
* STRIPE PATTERN: In garter stitch (k each Row), work 32  rows color evergreen,
26  rows royal blue, 18  rows evergreen and 20  rows royal blue.
* BACK: Starting at lower edge, with evergreen cast on 48  sts.
Work in stripe pattern, above, and mark first Row with a safety pin for right side of work.
Continue until 6 rows of second evergreen stripe are completed.
Armholes: Continuing pattern, at each arm edge, bind off 3  sts at beg of Row once, then dec 1 at every other Row 4 times (to dec; k 2nd and 3rd at from edge tog).
Work even on 34  sts until stripe pattern is completed.
Shoulders: Continuing with royal blue, bind off 5 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Bind off all sts.
* LEFT FRONT: Cast an 27  sts. Work in pattern as for back until first royal blue stripe is completed; end at side edge.
Shape neck: Row 1 (dec Row): With evergreen, work to 3 sts before front edge, k 2 tog, k 1.
Work 3 rows even.
Dec 1 at at neck edge every 4th Row 9  times more and at-same time, when same length as back to underarm, at side edge shape armhole as for back.
When neck shaping is completed, work in pattern on remaining 10 sts until piece is same length as back.
Shoulder: Next Row: Bind off 5 sts at arm edge.
K I Row. Bind off.
* RIGHT FRONT: Work as for left front, reversing shaping and making buttonholes on
Rows 13, 33  and 53  as follows: From front edge, k 1, bind off 3, k to end.
On next Row, cast on 3 sts over bound-off sts.
FINISHING: (Note: For a boy's vest, flop pieces so that wrong side is right side and buttonholes are on left front.)
Sew shoulder and side seams.
Sew on buttons with chenille or thread.